Strawberry Rhubarb Hemp Breakfast Bites
1 ½ cups / 215g hemp seeds
¼ cup / 35g arrowroot
¼ tsp. flaky salt, plus more for garnish, if desired
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg (or 1 ripe banana, mashed)
¼ cup / 60ml pure maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract (or ½ tsp. vanilla powder)
½ cup / 85g chopped strawberries
½ cup / 60g chopped rhubarb (2-3 slim stalks)
expeller-pressed coconut oil for greasing (or use muffin liners
1. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
2. Wash the strawberries and rhubarb well. Slice the rhubarb into small discs, and cut the strawberries into small chunks. Reserve 3 strawberries for topping the breakfast bites, if desired (remove greens, then slice them top to bottom). Set fruit aside.
3. In a food processor, blend hemp seeds until they’re a fine powder (don’t go too far or you’ll end up with hemp seed butter!). Add the arrowroot, salt and baking powder and pulse a few times to combine.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg or banana, maple syrup, and vanilla extract together. Add the hemp seed flour blend, and stir to combine. Fold in the rhubarb and strawberries.
5. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the batter into each prepared muffin tin. If desired, place a slice of strawberry on top of each bite. Set in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
7. Enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for five days.